If you are behind on your retirement savings, here are some steps you can take to catch up:
- Prioritise saving for retirement: Increase your contributions to your retirement accounts if possible, and consider contributing to a tax-advantage retirement account, such as a PRSA.
- Create a budget: Review your spending and find areas where you can cut back to free up more money for retirement savings.
- Maximise your employer match: If your employer offers a matching contribution to your retirement plan, make sure you are contributing enough to take full advantage of it.
- Consider working longer: If possible, consider working for a few extra years to increase your retirement savings and take advantage of the extra time for your investments to grow.
- Seek Professional advice: Consider speaking with a financial advisor who can help you assess your situation and develop a plan to catch up on your retirement savings.
- Reduce your debt: High levels of debt can make it difficult to save for retirement. Consider paying off debt, especially high-interest debt, to free up more money for retirement savings.
- Increase your income: Consider ways to increase your income, such as a side hustle or a part-time job, to help boost your retirement savings.
Remember, the earlier you start saving for retirement, the more time your money has to grow and the more likely you are to reach you retirement goals. Its never too late to start, so don’t give up hope!